Sixteen years on and what have I learned…?
I’ve just been reminded by LinkedIn that it’s my 16th anniversary of running Tangerine (a little bit out on the date as it was the 1st of March but hey…) and it got me pondering.
I’ve also been doing quite a lot of public speaking recently, mainly linked to International Women’s Day and putting the business into Employee Ownership. I’ve been asked to tell my ‘story’ and share the top tips I’ve picked up – often via bitter experience – over the years and I thought I’d pop them on here too, linked with my favourite quotes.
So here goes…
- “Working with great people makes you great.” (Surround yourself with brilliant people, let them do their job and you literally can’t fail)
- “Everything you’ve ever really wanted is just on the other side of fear!” OR “Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.” (Otherwise known as: take risks. Don’t fear failure – embrace it and learn from it)
- “Decisions are made by those who show up.” (If you want to effect change, you have to be in the room where the discussions are taking place. And also network, network, network!)
- “You know the truth by the way it feels.” (Trust your gut)
- “You may think you’ve got a long way to go, but sometimes you should look back at how far you’ve already come.” (Or: give yourself a pat on the back – just every now and then!)
Would love to hear your top business/life tips too…?
By Sandy Lindsay MBE, Group Chair