Nationally, there are 2 million fewer women than men regularly playing sport. I Will If You Will, a pilot campaign, delivered by Bury Council and funded with £2.3m of National Lottery investment from Sport England – designed to bridge this gap – needed an innovative communications programme to help change women’s attitudes and behaviour towards exercise.
Tangerine developed a multi-layered, straight talking campaign which spoke directly to women. Key campaign aspects included:
- THE MOTIVATORS AND CHAMPIONS – Recruitment of relatable local celebrity ambassadors, Coronation Street actress, Jennie McAlpine, Hollyoaks actress, Nikki Sanderson and England netball interim head coach and former player, Tracey Neville, alongside inspirational local Bury women, to help deliver the IWIYW message
- THE PLEDGE – An easy-to-remember initiative – 30for10 (30 minutes of exercise per week for 10 weeks – = habit forming) – to inspire behavioural change and encourage women to take part and commit
- THE WORK-OUTS – Creating opportunities for ambassadors and champions to connect with the community, making IWIYW accessible to all women
- THE ENGAGING CONTENT – Develop relevant, call to action content across traditional and social platforms
- THE PARTNERSHIPS – With Bury Council, key regional media and partner agencies
More than 7,000 NEW PARTICIPANTS took part in fitness activities as a result
An independent poll in the Bury Times asked – have you got involved in any I will If You Will activities – 80% SAID YES!
National PR Week awards nomination for Best Public Sector Campaign in 2015
“Tangerine’s role has been essential in driving this pilot project forward, managing the celebrity ambassadors effectively and using creative ideas to ensure the campaign has been consistently covered with a positive tone, plus calls to action, across a full range of local media. As a team, we really appreciated Tangerine’s personal and professional approach – they really took control of every element of activity, making our lives easier and securing fantastic amounts of coverage.” Jackie Veal, IWIYW Operational Lead
“The I Will If You Will campaign has changed my life! I wasn’t a very active person, but after attending my first few Zumba classes, I felt my fitness levels improve greatly and so did my confidence. I’ve made many good friends and even created a new career path for myself as I’m now a qualified fitness instructor. I’ve been on the TV, radio and appeared in the campaign adverts which were shown all around town – I’m not a famous athlete but people even started to recognise me in the street - I feel very proud that I’ve been able to help and inspire people by telling them my I will if you will story.” Leanne Turner – local brand champion